Best Romance Novels With Flawed/Scarred Heroes
Ramey Sandeley, the Hero of "The House on Black Lake" is physically perfect, which means he has a price to pay. He is internally scarred due to the suicide of his mother, a tricked marriage, and the loss of something so dear his fate is in peril. Perfection gives him the right to anything he desires, yet he is incapable of having his deepest needs met. The man is tortured, conflicted, and lost, yet on the surface he appears to have it all.
There are other suffering heroes in novels of romance that share this curse, and others who face physical disfigurement Each is charged with the same challenge - to find love with a woman who will overlook flaws and accept without judgment. Alexandra, the heroine of "The House on Black Lake", says of Ramey, "If beauty is nothing without a dark river running through it, then Ramey Sandeley has more than God gave him, he now claims the greatest of God's gifts."
Alexandra is possibly more evolved than other women, as she has experienced life as "a freak". The right side of her face was paralyzed after the birth of her first child. A vow at St. Joseph's shrine, "Truth for Beauty" cured her malady but left her with a price to pay. She must seek out her rightful destiny in return for her unmarked face.
The Phantom of the Opera is the quintessential story of a scarred hero, both inside and out. I love the film with Gerard Butler. The following are the top romance novels with flawed/scarred heroes. Information is culled from discussions with fans and Amazon Romance forum.
1 Exposure by Susan Anderson
2. The Prize by Julie Garwood
3. Envy by Sandra Brown
4. Home Fires by Luanne Rice
5. Simply Love by Mary Balogh
6. Ravished by Amanda Quick
7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
8. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
9. Feral Warriors Series by Patricia Palmer
10. The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey
11. Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz
12. The Lover by Robin Shone
13. The Lord of the Desert by Diane Palmer
14. Winter Garden by Adele Ashworth
16. The Gentle Pirate by Stephanie James
17. Captive of Sin by Anna Campbell
18. Music Box Danseur by Marlene K. Slade - the story is about two men, but many women seem to love this book about mismatched lovers
19. Midnight Breed Series by Lara Adrian
20. Dark Hunters Series by Sherilyn Kenyon
21. Defeat the Darkness (Paladin Series) by A. Morgon
22. The Indian Rose by Emma Daniels
23. Troubleshooter Series by Suzanne Brockman
24. Beneath the Surface by Marie Rochelle
25. Comanche Heart by Catherine Anderson
26. To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt
27. Bengal's Heart by Lora Leigh
28. When Seducing a Duke by Katherine Smyth
29. Dream Warrior by Sherrilyn Kenyon
30. The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter.
31. Once a Princess by Johanna Lindsey.
32. Exposure by Susan Anderson.
33. Warriors of Poseidon, Alyssa Day
34. Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath
35. Tapestry by Karen Ranney