Best Forbidden Love Romance Novels
Please Note: Photograph is from "The House on Black Lake" cinematic trailer, filmed by esteemed cinematographer Frazer Bradshaw. It may be viewed on Home Page.
Forbidden love is a theme I find fascinating, and I explore it on many different levels in my novel. In The House on Black Lake Alexandra Brighton meets Ramey Sandeley months after they each have wed another. They both fall in love at first sight for the first time in their lives, but it is too late. Ramey's wife is pregnant with their first child, and Alexandra is impregnated that night by her husband. Years later, a world weary, Alexandra journeys to Black Lake to find resolution to the obsession that has kept her captive for years. She is now single, but he is still married and the father of five children. In addition to the lure of infidelity, the taboo of incest, racial and age differences, and marital bisexuality are also explored.
Below are listed thirty favorite forbidden love romances. Thanks to Amazon romance community for their input.
1. Forbidden by Tabith Suzanna - Soon to be released. The novel deals with brother/sister incest in a sensitive manner that is both illuminating and heart breaking
2. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullogh - a young priest's faith is tested when he falls in love with a and beautiful woman
3. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - A Puritan woman has an affair and illegitamate child with priest that leads to her being tagged with the scarlet letter
4. The Object of Love by Sharon Cullars - a woman's son dies and when his friend returns (now a handsome young man) she finds herself falling for him.
5. By possession by Madeline Hunter - a master and his serf
6. Indigo Love Spectrum by different authors - publisher specializes in romance stories with African American women with white men.
7. Through a Dark Mistby Marsha Canham -Medieval tale - a young woman is set to be wed in an arranged marriage but falls in love with an outlaw en route
8. Surrender by Pamela Clare (Mackinnon Rangers Series) - Western - Religious difference - protestant/catholic. Everyone warns them to stay away from each other, but to no avail
12. Lakota Love Song - and others, by Madeline Baker. Her novels focus on Native American men and white women
14. Star series by Patricia Potter - entire series features forbidden love
15. The Bounty by Beth Williamson - H is hired to capture h, then falls in love
16. Diablo by Georgina Gentry - Western - h is a lady and H is a drifter/ gun for hire. H kidnaps h for revenge on her fiance, then falls in love with her
17. Relentless by Patricia Potter - she's his captive, the daughter of the man he desires to revenge
18. The Heat by Heather Killough Walden - h falls for her best friend's brother despite friend's insistence she keep away
19. Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr - H loves h but won't persue her because she's married
21. Heartless by Diane Palmer - h and H are step-siblings
22. Perfect by Judith McNaught - H is a criminal on the run from jail, wanted for murder and h falls for him
23. No Chance by Christy Reece- h is very wealthy and H is very poor. Her father forbids them to marry, then when they do he destroys marriage. Eight years later they have a second chance at love.
24. Second Chance by Christy Reece - H is responsible for her husband's death and knows he should tell her, but gets involved nonetheless
26. Unlawful Contact by Pamela Clare - H escapes from prison and is wanted by the law and h helps him
27. Stealing Midnight by Tracy MacNish - h is a strange, abused, and sheltered young woman who has an insane father. h saves H from her father. His feelings for her are marred by fact that she is so strange his family will likely never accept her
29. The Last Highwayman by Katherine O'Neal - H is an outlaw bandit and h is a duchess. Their love is fierce, although circumstances conspire to keep them apart